Wire Grill Brushes Pose Safety Hazard
Whenever you turn on your grill this summer, you might want to double check to make sure you aren't about to eat something that's not quite as edible as a burger. Many people have been admitted into the hospital after accidentally ingesting the bristles from a wire grill brush, according to a new report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The report describes six cases that occurred between March 2011 and June 2012, all in Rhode Island. All patients swallowed grill brush bristles that became dislodged from the brush and embedded in their food. They suffered injuries such as punctured soft tissue, which caused severe pain, and perforation of the G.I. tract, which required surgery.
Like Us on Facebook
"Such incidents might be more common than previously suspected," the CDC said.
The CDC hopes the report will drive up awareness of the occurrence, they said in the report. Diagnosis is difficult because the bristles are small and can be missed by imaging scans. By spreading the word about it, they said patients will get the help they need quicker.
"Additionally, public awareness might result in careful examination of any grill surface before use, or use of alternative grill-cleaning methods or products," the CDC said.
© 2012 iScience Times All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.