Monster Energy Drink Lawsuit: Did Drinking Too Much Monster Cause 14-Year-Old Anais Fournier And 4 Others To Die?
The family of 14-year-old Anais Fournier is suing the company that makes the popular Monster Energy Drink, alleging that Anais died after drinking two 24 ounce cans of Monster within 24 hours - and she's not the only one. Four other families have come forward and made similar accusations against Monster Beverage.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration announced that they are investigating the claims, and said that they have reports of 5 deaths and 1 non-fatal heart attack linked to the highly-caffeinated energy drink.
Like Us on Facebook
"As with any reports of a death or injury the agency receives, we take them very seriously and investigate diligently," Shelly Burgess, a FDA spokeswoman, said, according to the Associated Press.
The news comes on the heels of a wrongful death lawsuit filed by the parents of Anais Fournier, who allege that their daughter died after drinking two cans of Monster Energy Drink in 24 hours. An autopsy report revealed that she died of cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity, and the medical examiner also told her parents that she had an inherited disease that weakened her blood vessels, which could have been a contributing factor.
Anais Fournier's parents claim Monster failed to warn consumers about the risks that come from using their product.
Monster Beverage Corp. puts labels on its cans warning that the drink is not recommended for children and people sensitive to caffeine. And while they did not respond to a request for comment, the company said last week that it is "unaware of any fatality anywhere that has been caused by its drinks."
© 2012 iScience Times All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.