Vodka Saves Puppy: How Was Cleo Saved By Alcoholic IV?
Vodka saves a puppy in what may be one of the most unlikely rescues in history. A puppy that accidentally ingested antifreeze went into renal failure, but was saved thanks to an alcoholic IV, according to WIVB-TV.
The puppy, an American Staffordshire named Cleo, accidentally licked antifreeze off spare car parts in Australia last week and immediately suffered ill effects. Cleo refused to eat, was unsteady on her feet and eventually went into renal failure.
Like Us on Facebook
"It was only a [6.6-pound] dog, so it doesn't take much of the anti-freeze for it to become poisoned," veterinarian Scott Hall from Animal Accident and Emergency Point Cook said, according to the Huffington Post. "The owners were straight on top of the money. They realized straight away that things weren't right and came straight to us."
Ethanol, the main component of alcohol, is the best treatment for anti-freeze poisoning. The veterinarian acted quick and grabbed a bottle of vodka from her car.
"There's toxins in [anti-freeze] called ethylene glycol and they're very, very harmful to the kidneys," veterinarian Matt Pascall said, according to the Daily Mail. "So what we need to do is give them alcohol and in this case, we gave her vodka to try and mop up some of those toxins."
Cleo used more than a third of the bottle before she was in the clear.
"If we put it in human terms, for me it would be the equivalent of having seven or eight shots every four hours," veterinarian Matt Pascall said, according to the Huffington Post.
Cleo is expected to make a full recovery, and is no longer on a vodka regimen.
"Cleo had really bloodshot eyes and she was pretty unsteady. She couldn't move around much because she was so wasted," her owner said, according to the Digital Journal.
© 2012 iScience Times All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.