Frog In Beans Can: Gloria Chubb Sick For Two Days After Shocking Discovery [VIDEO]
A frog in a beans can ruined the appetite of an Indiana family that was getting ready for dinner.
The unpleasant discovery occurred when Gloria Chubb of South Bend poured out a can of green beans and cooked it with butter. Setting it on the dinner table, her son discovered the body of a frog mixed into the beans. Gloria reported she was sick for two days after the bizarre incident.
"I cooked them in the microwave with butter and salt and pepper, put them on the table and my son put some on his dish and said 'What is this?' I looked and put it in my hand and said, 'Oh my God, it's a little frog,'" Gloria Chubb told WBND News.
Like Us on Facebook
"I thought maybe it was a piece of moldy bacon or something," Chubb continued. "But I took it out of there ... and it was a frog with parts of his little legs all in the green beans, other than that he was fully intact."
The disturbing frog in beans can was purchased from a Meijer store. Following the eventful dinner, Gloria Chubb promptly returned all her cans back to the Meijer store. Meijer extended a full refund, a letter of apology, and a $50 compensation to settle the matter.
According to Meijer company officials, the canning process begins straight from the field. A frog must have slipped into the can.
"When the green beans were picked from the field, it was also placed on a conveyor line and just was accidentally put into the can of green beans during process," explained St. Joseph Country Health Department Food Service Director Rita Hooten.
A high volume business that moves 300 cans every minute, consumer specialists admit that the sheer number of cans available suggests Chubb won't be the only person to eventually find a small frog in his or her can of beans.
"I think they should come up with a better way of inspecting and canning vegetables," said Chubb. "I mean anything can happen you know, but a whole frog?"
Meijer issued a statement in response to Gloria Chubb's incident. "Our goal at Meijer is to always provide the highest quality products to our customers. We sincerely regret this customer's experience, and we are in the process of investigating the incident."
Despite Meijer's apology, the damage has been done -- Gloria Chubb vows to never eat a can of green beans ever again.
"We love green beans. We ate a lot of green beans, in casseroles, soups, on the side," Chubb said. "But I'm not going to eat green beans anymore. ... Nobody will eat them here."
© 2012 iScience Times All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.