Soy Sauce Overdose: 19-Year-Old Virginia Man Enters Coma After Dangerous Dare Goes Horribly Wrong [VIDEO]
A soy sauce overdose put one 19-year-old Virginia man into a coma and sent him to the hospital for four days. The teen, who was pledging Zeta Psi at the University of Virginia, managed to swill a full quart of soy sauce before his body started convulsing and he foamed at the mouth.
According to Huffington Post, the fraternity pledge is the first person to ever intentionally overdose on soy sauce and to walk away four days later with no long term brain damage. While the soy sauce overdose incident took place a few years back, the student's case report was published online just a few days ago, June 4, in the Journal of Emergency Medicine.
Like Us on Facebook
The 19-year-old University of Virginia college student, whose soy sauce overdose made headlines back in 2011, chugged the quart of sauce after his friends in the fraternity dared him to do it. The 19-year-old was hospitalized after he was also made to eat a meal of dog food, gefilte fish, matzo balls and the quart of soy sauce.
One quart, or 945 milliliters, of soy sauce is equal to about 2 average-sized soy sauce bottles like the ones you might buy in a grocery store.
Three months after the hazing incident occurred, the university shut down the fraternity. Zeta Psi was given a two-year ban, handed down by the University of Virginia Dean of Students, WJLA reported back in 2011.
The soy sauce overdose caused the student to experience a condition called hypernatremia, which basically means he had too much salt in his blood.
"Hypernatremia is dangerous because it causes the brain to lose water," LiveScience reports. "When there is too much salt in the bloodstream, water moves out of the body tissues and into the blood by the process of osmosis, to try to equalize the salt concentration between the two. As water the leaves the brain, the organ can shrink and bleed."
According to Clinical Key, hypernatremia usually occurs in debilitated persons or people with brain dysfunctions who have impaired thirst. It can be caused by fluid losses from sweating, diarrhea or vomiting, or even burns. Another common cause, as happened in the soy sauce overdose incident, is salt overload.
According to a 2008 study from the University of Maine, 55 percent of college students involved in clubs, teams and organizations experienced hazing. After polling 11,482 college students from 53 colleges and universities, researchers found that different forms of hazing involved alcohol consumption, humiliation, isolation, sleep deprivation and sexual acts. Students recognize that hazing is part and parcel of college life, and only 5 percent report hazing incidences.
In one infamous incident of college hazing from the late 1990s, the hockey team at the University of Vermont forced freshman players to guzzle warm beer until they threw up, and then to perform an "Elephant Walk," which is, in a sense, a form of rape. Players were stripped naked and made to hold each other's genitals while walking in a single file line.
The event caused the state of Vermont to pass an anti-hazing law in 1999.
The recent soy sauce overdose has put the spotlight back on the dangers of college hazing. And when something like a soy sauce challenge gets into the hands of puerile, male adolescents, there's sure to be copycats.
Here are some videos of some less-than-responsible individuals taking part in the "soy sauce challenge."
WARNING: There is some vomiting and cursing that occurs. You've been warned.
Read more from iScience Times:
© 2012 iScience Times All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.