Turkey Baster Rescue Baby: Hero Bill Hogenson Saves Choking 5-month-old Nessa Shoup With Kitchen Item [VIDEO]
A turkey baster saved the life of baby girl Nessa Shoup of Ludington, Michigan, when she suffered breathing complications while under the care of baby sitters. The distraught babysitters desperately tried to save the baby girl and call 911.
Bill Hogenson and his son were batproofing another Ludington home when he overheard the frantic screams. Hogenson dropped what he was doing and ran into the house to offer his assistance.
Like Us on Facebook
"We heard one of the babysitters talking on the phone to 9-1-1 saying that the baby is purple and not breathing," Hogenson said.
Shockingly, the choking baby's face went bluer by the second as Hogenson, a former Mason County marine deputy, performed CPR. When Bill Hogenson determined the CPR wasn't going to work, he improvised a remarkable solution. Hogenson found a turkey baster after rummaging through kitchen drawers. Thankfully, the kitchen item did the trick and saved baby Nessa's life.
"I went into the drawer and found a turkey baster and used the turkey baster to clear her nasal passage and her airway," Hogenson described.
He patted her on the back, spun her around and saw a good sign.
"She smiled at me, and I knew we were going to be in the good," Hogenson said.
Parents Shon Gascoigne and Robin Shoup expressed their gratitude to Bill Hogenson's heroics: "If it weren't for him, we wouldn't have this beautiful baby here right now, and we are forever grateful."
Hogenson, who is also a father, modestly said that his instincts to save the baby simply kicked in.
"Ever since then, when I see her [Nessa] she gives me a smile," said Hogensen. "It kind of gives us a bond for life."
Nessa's parents later revealed that her epiglottis valve did not fully develop, making it easier for Nessa to choke on her food and her saliva than usual.
© 2012 iScience Times All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.