Beloit Explosion: Huge Wis. Blast Levels Home, Traps Residents Under Rubble [VIDEO]
A Beloit explosion injured two people and killed a pet over the weekend. The blast occurred Sunday evening in Beloit, a city in Rock County, Wis., about an hour south of Madison. The residents of the home, James and Beverly Long, who were renting the property, were inside the house at the time of the explosion. The couple, who are both in their 30s, were trapped in the basement underneath the rubble and were later rescued and flown to the hospital. They suffered second-degree burns as a result of the Beloit explosion.
Like Us on Facebook
The Journal Sentinal reports that when rescue workers showed up on the scene, they found the home collapsed with several spot fires around the area of the Beloit explosion. The house at 2031 Meridith Drive, worth about $50,000, was totally destroyed.
In a press release from earlier today, Fire Chief Brad Liggett said that the cause of the Beloit explosion was probably a natural gas explosion, but that further investigation is needed before any definitive conclusions can be made.
One witness to the Beloit explosion, Diana Smith, who lives across the street from where the blast occurred, told reporters that she heard a big boom and saw the home totally destroyed.
"The walls went out and the roof came right down on top of everything," Smith told AP. She said there was a lady trapped in the rubble who kept screaming for help. "We kept on telling her that help was on the way," Smith recalled.
Debris from home was found on nearby roofs and neighboring driveways. Lacrosse Tribune reports that canned goods and other household items littered the area, and that there is still a lot of debris to cleaned up following the Beloit explosion.
According to DB Techno, there have been almost 3,000 natural gas explosions in the U.S. since 1990. In many cases, old gas pipes are the cause of the blasts.
Read more from iScience Times:
© 2012 iScience Times All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.